Endometriosis affects around 10 percent of females aged between 15 and 44 years globally. Although endometriosis is not a fatal disease, it can significantly affect a woman’s life and reduces her chances of getting pregnant.
Do you know that prevalence rates of endometriosis are higher in white people as compared to African-Americans?
Talking about endometriosis treatment, Thailand is one of the top medical destinations in the world, offering advanced healthcare services and high-quality medical care. The endometriosis surgery cost in Thailand is approximately 50% less than in other developed countries. This qualifies Thailand as one of the budget-friendly destinations without any compromise on the quality of healthcare services.
What is Endometriosis?
A woman’s uterus has an inner layer, the endometrium, that renews itself with every menstrual cycle. It is a medical condition in which the tissue grows outside the uterus similar to the tissue that lines the inside of the uterus leading to scar tissue formation and inflammation, mostly in the pelvic region.
This condition usually leads to a chronic condition that may result in scar tissue formation within the pelvis and/or other parts of the body. The affected individual may experience any of the following types of lesions:
- Superficial endometriosis on the pelvic peritoneum
- Endometriosis outside the pelvis
- In the recto-vaginal septum, bladder, and bowel
- Cystic ovarian endometriosis in the ovarie
In rare cases, it may develop in the following parts of the body:
Depending on the number, location, size, and at what degree endometriosis has spread and affected other parts of the body, the disease has four types of stages:
- Minimal: In this stage, small lesions or wounds are found near the ovaries. This stage has little to no scar tissue.
- Mild: In this stage, light lesions are found on the ovaries and pelvic lining.
- Moderate: Numerous deep implants on one or both ovaries and pelvic lining, along with thick bands of scar tissues called adhesions, are found in this stage.
- Severe: Several deep implants on the pelvic lining and ovaries, along with lesions on the fallopian tubes and bowels, as well as cysts on either or both of the ovaries, occur in this stage.
What Signs Does An Endometriosis Patient Show?
The common signs of the condition are infertility and excessive pain. The pain typically arises:
- During or after sexual intercourse
- During menstrual cycle
Some other signs are as follows:
- Spotting or heavy bleeding during the menstrual cycle
- Pain while urinating or bowel movements during the cycle
- Irregular menstrual cycles
- Diarrhea or constipation during the cycles
Kindly note that the above-mentioned symptoms are completely vague. Some women may experience all of these signs, while others may not show any signs at all.
What Questions Need To Be Asked On First Appointment With A Doctor?
If the patient is diagnosed with this condition, then the following questions can be asked on the very first appointment:
- Why is this condition painful?
- How severe is the condition?
- Will this condition go away with no surgery?
- What exercises can I do to control the symptoms?
- Will it be cured with medications?
- Are there any side effects of prescribed medicines?
- How does this condition react to birth control pills?
- Will this condition affect my sexual life or fertility?
- Will this condition remain till menopause?
- How many follow-ups do I need to take?
What Are The Preferred Treatments For Endometriosis?
There is no particular cure for endometriosis. Depending on the severity of the condition, the doctor may recommend either of the following treatment:
- Painkillers: Depending on how severe the pain is, the doctor may prescribe over-the-counter painkillers such as ibuprofen or naproxen. If these nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) don’t work, then the patient may ask for other options.
- Hormonal therapy: This treatment lowers the amount of estrogen the body produces and can stop the menstrual period. This helps in less bleeding, which means lesser inflammation, scarring, and formation of cysts. Some of the common hormonal therapies are birth control pills, vaginal rings, progestin-only contraceptives, and danazol.
- Surgery: If the case is serious, then the doctor might recommend surgery to extract the damaged tissue that helps relieve pain from symptoms and increases the chances of getting pregnant.
Are You Looking For Endometriosis Treatment?
If you’re searching for a medical destination for endometriosis treatment, then Thailand is one of the advanced medical hubs that has answers to all your medical queries. The endometriosis surgery cost in Thailand begins from USD 730 and may go up to USD 1,000. Various factors may influence the cost of surgical treatment, such as:
- Pre-operative diagnostic procedures such as CBC, ultrasound, MRI, pelvic exam, etc.
- Cost of surgical procedure
- Hospitalization fees
- Cost of medicines
- Type of hospital and room selected
- Post-surgical complications, if there are any
- Cost of food and accommodation in case the patient is not a resident
Thailand has several healthcare institutes with skilled teams of gynecologists and obstetricians that hold expertise in treating endometriosis and have performed numerous successful endometriosis surgeries.
Let’s discuss some of the best medical centers well-known for endometriosis treatment.
Vejthani Hospital, Bangkok, Thailand:
- The institute has a well-facilitated gynecology department that delivers a comprehensive range of women’s healthcare services and thorough medical consultation for treating several diseases in gynecology and obstetrics.
Bumrungrad International Hospital, Bangkok:
- The Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics at the hospital offers a range of healthcare services, including treating gynecological cancers through minimally invasive surgeries, radical surgeries, management of high-risk pregnancies, and more.
Samitivej Thonburi Hospital, Bangkok:
- It is one of the leading private hospitals with 12 specialty centers, including Obstetrics & Gynecology, Orthopedic Center, Child Care Center, Wellness Center, and Samitivej Allergy Institute, to mention a few.
Thailand possesses a strong medical tourism industry with world-class healthcare facilities, proficient medical professionals, and well-trained supporting staff. Patients experience top-notch medical facilities with quality care, treatment, and affordable endometriosis surgery cost in Thailand. The medical centers offer ultramodern infrastructure and advanced medical facilities, making it a perfect destination for endometriosis treatment.